Fantastic time at the OWA Dinner 2016
On Saturday 19th November 100 OWA members put on their finest and gathered to celebrate the year that was, celebrating the athletic achievements of all ages of Orienteers and acknowledging the volunteers who made such an effort to run our sport in 2016.
The night started with a What do you kn “O” w quiz. (You can check the quiz for yourself if you were not there and as well as check the answers.) Whilst the quiz provided a good distraction from the nibbles, others watched a few hundred photos from across 2016 that were scrolling on the big screen. Thanks to Graham Braid, Rob West, Daisy McCauley, Mike Sibbald, Jill Elderfield, Nicole Davis and Richard Matthews for the pictures.
A highlight of the evening is the Volunteer recognition, where Acting President Jan Fletcher publicly thanked, on behalf of the orienteering community, some of the dedicated workers who have helped to bring the events to you and manage the affairs of the association over the past year and beyond.
This year’s volunteer awards were:
- Governance: Jennifer Binns
- Major Event Management: Ricky Thackray
- Map Production & Coordination: Duncan Sullivan
- Event & Technical Support: Jack Dowling
- Coaching: Rob & Lois West
- Development: SWOT's O.M.G. team
- Course setting or controlling: Robert Boekelaar
- Promotion & Communication: Ori Gudes
- Other Support (Specific Project): Bryce Crage
- Other Support (Ongoing): Emma Plummer
There was a fine spread of food from the catering company plus the very yummy desserts supplied by; Carol & Ken Brownlie, Moreen Cox, Coreen Maynard, Rosemary Kullmann, Emma Plummer and Nicole Davis were also a definite hit.
Later in the evening we recognised the winners of the Foot and MTBO State Championships and the Orienteers of the Year. The Rutty Rock Relay and Champion Club BO trophies went to BO with the trophies accepted by Simon Windsor.
Athlete Awards for 2016 were:
- Junior Female orienteer of the year: Sarah Richards
- Junior Male orienteer of the year: Riley McFarlane
- Female orienteer of the year: Anthea Feaver
- Male orienteer of the year: Tony Simpkins
- Female MTB orienteer of the year: Debbie McKay
- Male MTB orienteer of the year: Ricky Thackray
- Jeff Whittam Junior Male Award: Tyler Eves
- Jeff Whittam Junior Female Award: Tia Chitty
Thanks again to all those who helped set up the hall, cook up great desserts, clean up at the end of the night and played along with the quiz.
Dinner Monitor for 2016,